Starting Another Project
As usual I got ahead of myself and started refinishing the vanity before getting pictures. I had already removed the mirror from it's frame.
I think this is going to be a very pretty piece. The hardware is original, is in good shape and most importantly is great looking!
The vanity is in pretty good repair. A couple of the drawers are missing their guides and some sections need to be reglued...I just want to get painting!
|This is the top of the mirror.|
|I see natural wood surrounded by black!|
Knechtel Dresser Update
As soon as I saw this solid wood Knechtel bedroom suite I knew I wanted it. Happily Dan could see the "good bones" too. This is a quality piece of furniture that just needed some attention. I was sure the right colours would accentuate and modernize the clean lines of its design.
|Watermarks to sand away|
|Varnish is worn off and missing in areas|
|I could see this is dark grey with|
|I like the original hardware, but want|
to update the look
|Dan had to drill new holes for the handles|
|What a difference new hardware can make|
Just like new jewelry!!
|I use heavy card stock paper. Place it on a surface that will survive the over spray of glue|
|Smooth out the silk|
|Make sure that you allow the glue to dry for 3 to 5 minutes. This is VERY important if you want to remove the card stock from the silk. If you don't, after printing the paper will stick to the silk. Place card stock glued side down and smooth over.|
|Good side of silk with card stock|
|Now cut around the card stock|
|Fabric is trimmed along the edges of the card stock|
Then I find the print I want to transfer. For this project I used Toto Ryogoku Woodcut from the American Library of Congress. These are all Public Domain Prints. I use my colour laser printer.
Slowly pull the silk from the backing. If you want to just frame the print, leave the card stock in place.
If you want to frame the print smooth the silk over the card stock as soon as you spray the adhesive. This will make a permanent bond.
I think that I will quilt this silk print, adding some Japanese fabric that I have in my stash and make a pillow cover.
|Finished (not quite)|
I just finished this china cabinet. When I was posting information about it on my "For Sale" page I somehow did a copy/paste and lost all of my projects. So here I go again-learning to blog can be frustrating.