Sunday, 27 January 2013

RESCUED FROM A BARN

Almost complete
Refinished Dresser

This dresser was given to me by a friend.  It had been in a barn, then her shed, then her veranda.  It was a mess and I DID NOT EVEN TAKE A BEFORE PICTURE!  There had been a mouse nest at one time in the middle drawer and it was full of dead bugs.
The dresser is a bunch of different types of wood, mixed, and then it was painted with what my Dad called a "poor mans oak" finish.

One nice thing was that it was easy to pull apart and glue.

It was so filthy, I just put the drawers in our laundry sink and washed them in warm water.



Original mirror

The two bottom drawers have the original hardware.  The top drawer sadly, has new.  One handle was missing and I could not find any hardware that would match.  I painted the original hardware pewter to match the new, then dabbed them with black paint.  They are a really good colour match.

I stained the maple top a dark oak, varnished, sanded, varnished and got a really good result.

I think my friend wants the dresser back!!!



March 1st-returned dresser to owner!